Sunday, March 15, 2009

Aidens First Big Boo-Boo

As many of you already know that Aiden experienced his first big boo boo and had to have stitches.  We were at the Omniplex in OKC and he was so excited in this little area that was all for younger kids.  There was this John Dear Tractor that he was pumped about "driving".  We let him have a turn but then  a few more kids wanted a turn so we got down and started playing with a few other exhibits they had in that area.  We noticed that there wasnt a line for the tractor any more and asked Aiden if he wanted to get back on it.  Excitedly he took off running to get back on the tractor and that is when one of the learning stations got his eye.  They have a bunch of learning stations throughout the museum that have these wooden square tops on them that are the perfect size to catch Aidens eye.  He went down and Todd and I went running to get to him because we knew it had to hurt.  I was in no way expecting to see blood pouring down his face and it really scared me.  I had no idea if it was skin or his actual eye.  Luckily Todd was pretty calm and held him and I ran to get some wipes to put pressure on his wound to stop the bleeding.  We went through a bunch of wipes and paper towels.  The entire time Aiden isnt mad or crying about how much it hurts all he wants is to go get back on that tractor.  We promised him we wouldnt leave before he got to "ride" the tractor again.  We sat on a bench inside trying to determine what our next move was.  We got some band aids from one of the employees and got the bleeding under control.  He was so happy to get to go back to the play area.  We stayed for at least another two hours and yes he got to get back on the tractor.  We got out to the car and took the Band aid off and realized he was going to have to get stitches.  I called one of my friends who lives in Edmond and she told us exactly where to go.  Luckily I had called on this clinic before and knew exactly how to get there.  When we got there they got us right in.  Unfortunately Aiden knew what was about to happen and he was not happy at all.  I have to say this is probably the worst thing I have experienced in a very long time if not the worst ever.  To hear my child screaming "MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY" and to have two people besides you holding your child down while a doctor sticks a needle in his eye and your child is going crazy begging you to hold him and telling the doctor to "STOP IT DOCTOR!", that kind of rates up there as one of my top worst things I have had to do.  Poor Todd was holding his head at one point but another nurse came in and said that he should probably do that since they needed his head to be very still.  So Todd was kind of pushed out of the way and he felt helpless to say the least.  Aiden was more frightened by the nurses holding him down than the pain of the stitches but needless to say it was a little traumatic for him.  As soon as they were done I couldnt pick him up fast enough.  My poor little baby was so scared.  As soon as I had him and Todd held him he calmed down and was fine.  We took him to walmart to buy a new car and he picked out a box of three, two of which he already had  but wanted them really bad so we agreed (and wouldnt you know he lost two of them the very next day and one of them was the one we didnt have) and he was happy and forgot about the pain he was just experiencing.  What amazed Todd and I is that he never cried or said that his eye or head hurt.  So we decided that we didnt want our trip to end on a bad note so we decided to stay another night and go to the zoo today.  My sister, Brad an Brady joined us and we all had a great day at the OKC Zoo!  It was a very memorable weekend and I am sure this is just the first of many big boo-boos to come!  

Here are a few pics.  I know it doesnt look all too bad or even that big but man did it bleed a lot and enough to scare me!




I love my baby boy!!!!!

1 comment:

Raychel said...

Poor guy! It's so hard as a parent to feel helpless, I'm happy that he is okay though. Hope the zoo was fun and I can't wait to see pics from that!